Care and Management of Captive Raptors Workshop is in a Hybrid Format. Class size is limited to 50 people.
Are you looking to improve the welfare of raptors permanently under your care? Do you have questions on training or how to keep your birds healthy? Now you can learn all this and more from the comfort of your home! Interact with education and clinic staff from The Raptor Center (TRC) to learn the basics and establish the foundation required to participate in Part 2: Skill Building onsite at TRC.
Part 1: Zoom in - Knowledge Building in our Virtual Classroom
Part 1 is a virtual offering that will provide an engaging learning environment, answering the most common questions asked by raptor caretakers while bringing caretakers together to help create a support network. Engage with TRC education and clinic staff and develop lasting relationships with your instructors and peers. Small group virtual activities and discussion with experts will be included along with downloadable training materials.
- Collection planning and welfare considerations
- Science of behavior
- Raptor training (including new bird training and management)
- Handling and equipment
- Captive Management (housing, nutrition, coping)
- Medical management and first aid
- Creating training plans
Dates: April 20-May 25, 2023 (Thursday, 6-8pm CT)
This course meets once per week for six consecutive weeks:
- Thursday, April 20: 6-8pm central
- Thursday, April 27: 6-8pm central
- Thursday, May 4: 6-8pm central
- Thursday, May 11: 6-8pm central
- Thursday, May 18: 6-8pm central
- Thursday, May 25: 6-8pm central
To ensure we provide all participants with meaningful discussion time and individualized attention, we will limit the workshop to 50 people and expect it to fill.
- Cancellations before April 19: Full refund.
- 24 hours or less before workshop starts: No refund available
Part 2: Skill Building at The Raptor Center
Put what you have learned into action! Learn about raptor care and management by experiencing it in person. Take part in hands-on skill development and knowledge building by handling our raptors on the glove, working alongside clinic staff, and getting one-on-one coaching.
Tentatively planning for Part 2 to be 2.5 days onsite here at The Raptor Center.
Prerequisite: Care and Management of Captive Raptors, Part 1
Due to COVID-19 we do not yet have a confirmed date for Part 2 but will update as possible.